Thursday 22 May 2014

Units and Objectives

When Alison is sat down on the couch I passed her a newspaper, this shows that Helena has taken over the house wife role, this is shown through handing Alison the newspaper, making the tea, clearing the table and having my belongings in the living room on the table and the way I sat, lay back and relaxed. 
Jimmy threw the dress at Helena to show he's angry and he doesn't care for her belongings or her, but then he fixes her hair to show he did love her once and he does care a little but he mostly cares about Alison and deep down they both knew it would never have been the same as it was with Alison. Jimmy plays his trumpet during Alison and Helena's conversation, this shows his dominance, also the fact that throughout most of this act, no one sits in Jimmy's chair, however when I'm talking about leaving him, I decided I'll sit in Jimmy's chair to show that I'm stronger without him, that I don't need him and that he has no power over me any more. By grabbing my things off the table and throwing them into my bag and slamming down the newspaper, this show Jimmy and the audience, that Helena is strong and confident and obviously as she is an actress is used to being alone and is okay to leave Jimmy and Alison as they are and carry on with her career/life.
I took a sip of tea when I felt awkward by what Alison was saying about Jimmy and her and didn't want to let on that it was affecting me as she is my best friend and I just want her to be happy and to keep her in my life.
Everything we did, all the movements had a reason why behind them. Helena's super objective at the beginning is to resolve everything between her and Alison so she doesn't lose her, and by the end the super objective was to leave Jimmy but make sure that he knew it wasn't Alison's fault so when she left he wouldn't start and argument with her. The reason we decided to do make Helena come back in the end was to round of the scene with all three of us and to show the Helena really did love Jimmy but she cared more about her friendship with Alison and as the super objective was to keep Alison as a friend.

1 comment:

  1. This is a really good post. Your analysis of the units and objectives has led to a detailed understanding of a lot of the subtext in the scene, as well as your motivation. Your staging decision to have Helena reappear at the end is well justified here, and in performance I thought it was an excellent creative decision, adding a further layer of meaning to the scene.

    ReplyDelete